Mental Health Worker
Company: Beaumont Health
Posted on: May 11, 2022
GENERAL SUMMARY:Under moderate direction, assists licensed
nursing staff in providing direct patient care and helps in the
environment maintenance of the nursing unit under the direction of
the staff nurse and within the scope of defined practice.ESSENTIAL
- Collaborates with the RN in the physical and psychosocial
assessment of patient and demonstrates competency in the delivery,
evaluation and documentation of nursing care.
- Effectively documents patient care reflecting severity of
illness and intensity of service in the patient's medical record in
a timely manner with minimum of every shift.
- Assesses mental status of patient including hallucination,
paranoia, delusions suicidal/homicidal ideation, etc.
- Evaluates patient chemical dependency, medication compliance,
and patient safety to self and others.
- Diffuses crisis situations while maintaining safety for
patient, family and self.
- Assists patient with emotional and psychological issues and
provides support to facilitate patient comfort and well-being.
- Assists patients in coping with problems associated with mental
- Recognizes, documents and communicates changes in cognitive
abilities, affect, behavior and mood.
- Interacts with patient's family and/or significant others with
- Remains cognitive of job responsibilities and limitations and
follows chain of command when appropriate.
- Participates in QI activities as defined by Behavioral Health
- Demonstrates Customer Focus, Service First, and Oakwood's
- Is responsible for making rounds every 15 minutes on patients,
taking and charting vital signs, collecting blood sugars and
completing all computer charting i.e. Nurse Reporting Tool and Flow
- Performs other job duties as assigned by Clinical Manager,
ACM's and/or Charge Nurse.This document represents the major
duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not
intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It
should be understood, therefore, that incumbents may be asked to
perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly
- Supports the Mission, Value and Vision of Beaumont Health (BH).
Demonstrates personal commitment through active involvement in the
performance improvement process.
- Exhibits excellent customer service skills and behaviors toward
internal and external customers and co-workers. Promotes positive
public relations with patients/residents, family members, guests,
- Supports and adheres to all Beaumont Health's customer service,
service excellence, and performance standards. Supports and
participates with all required compliance standards that may be
department specific and/or identified by the organizations
including in-service training, acceptable attendance, uniform and
- Adheres to HIPAA requirements and maintains confidentiality of
all data, including patient/resident, employee and operations
- Supports and participates in a collaborative team-oriented
environment - cooperates and works together with all co-workers,
plans and completes job duties, uses appropriate communications in
sensitive and emotional situations and follows up as appropriate
regarding reported complaints, problems and concerns.
- Supports, cooperates with and demonstrates safe work practices
and attitudes, follows safety rules - including universal
precautions - reports and prevents/corrects unsafe conditions and
behaviors, and participates in organizational and departmental
- Completes all required compliance standards that may be
department specific and/or identified by the organization.
- Maintains current licensure, registration and/or certification,
as applicable, at all times.STANDARD QUALIFICATIONSTo perform this
job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each
essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Education / Training:
- Completion of Mental health Certificate program, 2 years
college with major in Behavioral Science, or 4 years equivalent
work experience in a behavioral health setting. Bachelor's degree
in a behavioral science field preferred.
- Work Experience:
- 1 year in behavioral setting preferred.
- Certification, Licensure, Registration:
- BLS and CPI training require upon hire or within 60 days of
- Other Qualifications:
- Good communication skills.
- Work well in an unpredictable environment.
- Must be able to occasionally handle working in a high paced
stressful environment/situationWORKING CONDITIONS:
- Physical Effort: Position may require long periods of standing,
walking, sitting, using a computer, and working with patients.
- Work Environment: Work is performed in a mental health
Keywords: Beaumont Health, Taylor , Mental Health Worker, Healthcare , Taylor, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!