RN First Assist
Company: Beaumont Hospitals
Location: Royal Oak
Posted on: January 26, 2023
REGISTERED NURSE FIRST ASSIST. OPERATING ROOM ROYAL OAK
UNIT DESCRIPTION: Fast paced changing OR environment.
Be Extraordinary, Join Our Team!
Beaumont is now offering a $20,000 sign on bonus for full-time,
regular, new hire RNs. Apply today to speak to a recruiter.
The certified Registered Nurse First Assistant (RNFA) in accordance
with the American College of Surgeon (ACS) provides direct aid to
the primary surgeon in all aspects of surgery peri-operatively.
This includes exposure, hemostasis, closure (multi-modality), and
technical functions that help the surgeon carry out a safe
operation leading to optimal results. Also, they aid in the
manipulation, and securing of devices, prosthetics, tissues, and
drains. In addition to, they may even harvest vein, arterial, and
grafts. The RNFA performs all of these functions under the direct
supervision of the Surgeon. Lastly, the RNFA may also serve in
capacity of a Clinical Nurse.
Beaumont offers a comprehensive benefits package to meet your
financial, health and life-work balance goals.
* Generous paid time off, holidays and flexible scheduling
* Our employees receive special discounts on a wide range of
products and services
* Exceptional health, dental, vision and prescription drug
* Tuition Reimbursement
* Relocation assistance
* Savings & retirement plans, disability insurance, identify theft
protection and even home and auto insurance
* NEW On-demand pay-program - powered by Payactiv
* The RNFA applies the nursing process utilizing critical thinking
skills in all areas of the First Assistant role.
* Analyzes, interprets and prioritizes data in order to provide
individualized care based upon complex clinical judgment in all
areas of the First Assistant role.
* The RNFA establishes and maintains a safe peri operative
* Patient advocate assists in prep and sanitation of O.R. suites in
order to ensure safe patient environment and facilitate timely
* Assist in processing of instruments as needed.
* The RNFA provides technical assistance under the direction of the
surgeon throughout the peri-operative phase including visualization
of the operative site, exposure, hemostasis, closure, & all other
advanced technical aspects of the operative procedure (See above
* The RNFA establishes and maintains a professional relationship
with all members of the peri operative team (Any function as an RN
* The RNFA maintains and directly manipulates all equipment
pertinent to all surgical procedures.
* Coordinates all equipment and supplies for each case based on a
protocol and/or Dr. preference list.
* Corporate online, department equipment, and online mandatory
competencies met yearly.
* Maintains professional conduct.
* Consistently updates self on all department and corporate
communication via email, meetings, and corporate literature.
* Training, teaching, and precepting additional members of the
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and
authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list
of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore,
that incumbents may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond
those explicitly described.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
* Education / Training:
* Bachelor of Science-Nursing.
* Completion of approved/accredited RNFA program.
* Work Experience: Experience preferred, not required.
* Certification, Licensure, Registration:
* Current Michigan RN licensure required
* Certification in Preoperative Nursing (CNOR).
* Certification as a FA (CRNFA).
* American Heart Association BLS and ACLS Certification.
* Other Qualifications:
* Must possess the following: excellent communication skills,
excellent organization skills, basic computer skills, and able to
* Physical Effort:
Position requires ability to frequently push/pull up to 30 lb.
objects with assist of others, occasional requires ability to lift
objects more than 50 lbs. with others, constantly lift objects up
to 20 lbs. And frequently lift to 40 lbs.
* Manual Dexterity
Position requires incumbent to constantly perform simple motor
skills such as standing, walking and simple manipulative skills
such as writing. Position requires incumbent to frequently perform
moderately difficult manipulative skills such as positioning
Position requires incumbent to constantly perform gross body
coordination such as walking. Frequently perform tasks which
require hand-eye coordination such as assisting patients to eat,
collections of specimens for transport to lab and tasks which
require arm-hand steadiness such as taking patients temps and
Position requires incumbent to constantly walk and stand;
occasionally sit for prolonged periods, frequently bend such as
when caring for a patient in bed.
* Visual Discrimination
Position requires incumbent to constantly see objects far away as
in driving and see close objects such as reading thermometers.
Position requires incumbent to constantly be able to hear normal
sound with some background noise as in answering phone/intercom.
Frequently be able to distinguish sound as in equipment alarms.
* Work Environment:
* Employee may be frequently exposed to electro-magnetic radiations
as in VDTs. Occasionally exposed to hazardous material other than
blood, body tissues, or fluids, dust, toxins, cytotoxons, chemical
hazardous materials, bodily injuries, loud and/or unpleasant
noises, high humidity, electrical hazards, or poisonous substances.
Infrequently exposed to blood, body tissue, or fluids. Seldom
exposed to fluctuations in temperature, grease, oil, and
* Potential risk of an exposure to hazardous medications or waste
materials of hazardous medications.
Beaumont offers you a world of opportunity throughout Southeast
Michigan. With eight hospitals and 155 outpatient sites you'll have
a wide variety of practice settings to choose from. Beaumont has
more nationally ranked hospitals in Michigan than any other health
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Beaumont Health grants equal employment opportunity to all
qualified persons without regard to race, color, national origin,
sex, disability, age, religion, genetic information, marital
status, height, weight, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation,
gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally
Keywords: Beaumont Hospitals, Taylor , RN First Assist, Healthcare , Royal Oak, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!