Surgical Services Assistant
Company: Beaumont Hospitals
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Under general supervision of the registered nurse is responsible
for performing various tasks to facilitate efficient and smooth
management of surgical/endoscopic patients and procedures in a safe
and timely manner.
- Transports patients, initiates emergency intervention in the
event of compromised airway or circulation, reports any unusual
questions or concerns regarding the patient to appropriate staff
members and seeks assistance as needed
- Prepares patients for procedures, admission and discharge by
assisting with clothing change, orienting to environment,
positioning, and transport
- Inventories and orders supplies per established unit levels;
stocks rooms and units daily; returns unused supplies and
instruments to Central Services Processing
- Transports specimens and x-rays, obtains blood products from
blood bank, obtains and reports lab results and performs urine
pregnancy testing as directed
- Obtains, transports and logs all patient documents; provides
general clerical and other support assistance to the department
staff and physicians.
- Turn over the OR room, wipe all the equipment down in the OR
room, mop the floors, assist the OR staff with room turnover, bring
in equipment for the following case. Assist with opening of sterile
supplies and instruments.
- Supports, cooperates with and demonstrates safe work practices
and attitudes, follows safety rules - including universal
precautions - reports and prevents/corrects unsafe conditions and
behaviors, and participates in organizational and departmental
- Completes all required compliance standards that may be
department specific and/or identified by the organization.
- Maintains current licensure, registration and/or certification,
as applicable, at all times.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Education / Training:
- This position requires a level of knowledge normally acquired
through completion of a high school diploma or GED program.
- Work Experience:
- This position requires successful completion of a minimum of
one to three months of on-the -job training to become familiar with
equipment and processes, to provide a safe environment for patients
to prevent injury or delay in discharge.
- Certification, Licensure, Registration:
- Basic CPR and Heartsaver Plus
- Other Qualifications:
- Requires excellent interpersonal and verbal communication
skills for regular contact with patient and family, to clearly
explain patient care procedures, respond to routine questions and
calm patient fears.
- Requires the ability to effectively communicate information
regarding the patient's condition to staff, nurses and
- Requires the ability to understand and follow directions
accurately and timely.
- Requires the ability to discern, analyze, recognize,
normal/abnormal patient situations and report findings accurately
- Requires the ability to identify emergency situations and
independently initiate appropriate safety actions.
- Requires organizational and multi-tasking skills to
simultaneously perform various tasks.
- Requires analytical skills to identify and prioritize
departmental and patient needs and requests.
Keywords: Beaumont Hospitals, Taylor , Surgical Services Assistant, Other , Taylor, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!