Company: Beaumont Hospitals
Posted on: November 16, 2022
Under the direction of the Patient Access Registration Front Line
Manager, the Acute Care Hospital Registrar 1 is accountable to
ensure a smooth timely registration/admission process by obtaining
accurate individual demographic, clinical and insurance data;
collecting co-pay/deductible, residual and prior balances, perform
initial financial screening on all self-pay & out of network
patients and then referring them to the Financial Advisors as
necessary while providing optimal customer satisfaction; reception;
and provides patient way finding as required.
* Greet customers promptly with a warm and friendly reception.
Direct patients to appropriate setting, explaining and apologizing
for any delays. Maintain professionalism and diplomacy at all
times, following specific standards as defined in the department
professionalism policy. Register patients for each visit type and
admit type and area of service via EPIC (Electronic Medical Record-
EMR). Collects and documents all required demographic and financial
information. Appropriately activates converts and discharges visits
* Accurately and efficiently performs registration and financial
functions to include: Thorough interviewing techniques, registers
patients in appropriate status, following registration guidelines
while ensuring the accurate and timely documentation of demographic
and financial data; obtains the appropriate forms and scans into
the medical record as per department protocol.
* Scrutinize patient insurance(s), identifies the correct insurance
plan, selects appropriately from the EPIC and documents correct
insurance order. Applies recurring visit processing according to
protocol. May facilitate use of electronic registration tools where
available (Kiosks, etc.).
* Verify patient information with third party payers. Collect
insurance referrals and documents on EPIC. Communicate with
patients and physician/office regarding authorization/referral
requirements. Obtain financial responsibility forms or completed
electronic forms with patients as necessary.
* Review/obtain/witness hospital consent forms, and Notice of
Privacy Practices with patient/family. Screen outpatient visits for
medical necessity. Provide cost estimates. Collects and documents
Advance Directive information, educating and providing information
as necessary. Collects and documents Medicare Questionnaire, issue
Medicare Inpatient Letter & Medicare Off-site Notifications as
required by Government mandates. Scan appropriate documents. Manage
all responsibilities within Compliance guidelines as outlined in
the Hospital and Department Compliance Plans and in accordance with
Meaningful Use requirements.
* Financial Advocacy: Screen all patients self-pay & out of network
patients using the EPIC tools. Provide information for follow up
and referral to the Financial Advisor as appropriate. Initiate
payment plans and obtain payment, Informs and explains to
patients/families all applicable government and private funding
programs and other cash payment plans or discounts. Incorporates
POS (point of service) collection processes into their daily
* May issue receipts and complete cash balance sheets in specified
areas where appropriate. Utilize audits and controls to manage cash
accurately and safely.
* Transcribe written physician orders, communicating with
physician/office staff as necessary to clarify. Determine &
document ICD-10 codes. Performs medical necessity check and issue
ABN as appropriate for Medicare primary outpatients. Note:
excluding lab-only outpatients effective September.
* Affix wristbands to patients, prepare patient charts.
Manage/prepare miscellaneous reports, schedules and paperwork.
Maintain inventory of supplies.
* May facilitate scheduling in identified areas for ancillary
* Mark duplicates Medical Records for merge: identify potential
duplicate records to determine that the past and current records
are truly the same. Utilize all system resources and contact
patient if necessary.
* May act as a preceptor to a newer staff member.
* Maintains or exceed the department specific individual
productivity standards, collection targets, quality audit scores
for accuracy productivity, collection and standards for
* Provide excellent service to our clinical and "downstream"
departments and physicians as users of our registration services.
Contribute to process improvement activities to support an
efficient patient and process flow.
* Clerical duties including i.e., typing, filing, mailing, calling
patients to form groups or to obtain case history, copying, faxing,
receiving payments and funding applications.
* Maintains or exceeds the Beaumont Customer Service Standards:
Service, Ownership, Attitude, and Respect. Provide every customer
with a seamless, flawless Beaumont experience.
* Remain compliant with regular TB testing & Flu vaccination per
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and
authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list
of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore,
that incumbents may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond
those explicitly described.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability
required.. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
* Education / Training:
* High school diploma or equivalent required. Associate or
Bachelor's degree in business, management or other related fields
preferred. Working knowledge of Windows, Excel, Word, Outlook,
EPIC, Electronic Eligibility System and various websites for third
party payers for verification is preferred.
* Work Experience:
* 1 year experience in a customer service role or health care
* Completed initial department training program, initial preceptor
and supervisor led Department training program (approximately 1
week) with minimum score of 85% on competency testing/evaluation by
preceptor or supervisor. Completion of supervisor and preceptor-led
training (4-6 weeks) with a minimum score of 85% on competency
testing or by maintaining department set productivity and quality
standards. Proficient in medical terminology and has assimilated
the proficient typing requirements (30 words/min).
* Certification, Licensure, Registration:
* Other Qualifications:
* Must be able to accurately manage a great number of details in a
fast paced, dynamic environment while providing excellent service
to Beaumont's patients, visitors, clinical departments &
physicians. Excellent, demonstrated, customer service &
communication skills required. Demonstrated problem solving,
organization, judgment, and diplomacy, multi-tasking skills are
necessary. Ability to work independently and supervise individual
workload to meet targets and productivity standard along with a
varied schedule. Must be 18 years of age, as required to co-sign
legal documents (hospital consent forms, etc.).
* Physical Effort
* Strength: Position requires incumbent to infrequently perform
physical activities requiring ability to push/pull objects up to 20
pounds and occasionally lift objects of up to 30 pounds.
* Manual Dexterity: Position requires incumbent to frequently
perform simple motor skills such as answering a telephone,
frequently perform simple and moderately difficult manipulative
skills such as writing and typing.
* Coordination: Position requires incumbent to frequently perform
gross body coordination such as walking, filing, retrieving
manuals, frequently performing tasks which require eye-hand
coordination such as keyboard skills.
* Mobility: Position requires incumbent to frequently perform
mobility skills such as walking, standing, sitting and occasionally
perform prolonged sitting. Must be able to push a patient in a
wheelchair and walk throughout shift to support clinical
departments and assist patients/families as needed.
* Visual Discrimination: Position requires incumbent to frequently
see objects far away such as locating a client company and to
discriminate colors in industrial signs; occasionally to see
objects closely as in reading faces or dials.
* Hearing: Position requires incumbent to constantly be able to
hear normal sounds with some background of noise and to distinguish
sounds as voice patterns in telephone conversations with
* Mental Requirements
* Concentration: Position requires incumbent to constantly be able
to concentrate on details with moderate amounts of interruptions
such as staff requests, new projects, financial analysis and
strategy, proposal preparation.
* Attention Span: Position require incumbent to attend to
task/functions constantly for periods up to 60 minutes in length
and frequently attend to task/functions constantly for periods
exceeding 60 minutes in length such as complicated reports,
contract negotiations and renewals.
* Conceptualization: Position requires incumbent to frequently be
able to understand and relate to specific ideas, concepts and
theories multiply generated and simultaneously discussed.
* Memory: Position require incumbent to constantly remember
task/assignments given to self and others over both short and long
periods of time.
* Beaumont Health grants equal employment opportunity to all
qualified persons without regard to race, color, national origin,
sex, disability, age, religion, genetic information, marital
status, height, weight, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation,
gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally
Keywords: Beaumont Hospitals, Taylor , Registrar, Other , Taylor, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!